Our class is named after Mae Jemison. She became the first black woman to travel into space when she served as a mission specialist aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour. On her mission to space in 1992 she took a photo of pioneering aviator Bessie Coleman with her, who had inspired her to follow her dreams to train with NASA. Jemison had a medical degree and worked as a Doctor, this also helped her with her NASA missions.
Our Quest Primary Learning Behaviours help us achieve greatness every day in our own learning and personal development, by replicating some of the traits that great explorers like Jemison demonstrate. These are:
- To be curious about what we are learning and why
- To have a thirst for discovering new knowledge
- To show courage and challenge ourselves when we are learning
- To persevere with our goals and never give up
- To have the resilience to overcome obstacles that we encounter in our work
- To be determined in everything we do
- To believe in ourselves and what we can achieve.